Investing in international stocks
You can invest in a range of international stocks with us, including:
- US tech stocks such as Apple, Alphabet (Google) and Facebook.
- European blue-chips such as Volkswagen, GDF Suez and Siemens.
- Major stocks listed in other major markets.
Trades must be made in £GBP and settled through CREST (the UK settlement system). We use CREST Depositary Instruments (CDIs), which enable stocks to be traded in a different currency to their origin.
No foreign exchange charge
With many brokers, you have to pay a foreign exchange charge of 1-1.5%, in addition to dealing fees. We do not charge this.
On some European markets, a Foreign Financial Transaction tax (FFT) is payable on the purchase of shares. This charge varies, depending on the country. On the flipside, most international shares are exempt from stamp duty (Irish shares are charged at 1%).
Investing in US stocks
American shares can be traded from 14:30-16:30 each day (when both the UK and North American markets are open). In order to purchase, you must have provided us with a valid W-8BEN form.
Not currently available
- Live price feeds, charts and other statistics
- Buy, sell and stop loss limits
- Handling or conversion of share certificates
How to invest in international stocks
Simply open an account and pay in some money. You’ll then be ready to buy and sell shares online with us.